Re: Differences on input (primary side to NST) issues

Original poster: "cd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I made a safety gap....
after 7 or 8 runs my nst's are just fine....

Here is what Ive learned so far....
You only need Power Factor Correction if you are going to use a high voltage
setup in which you may pull may power than your fuse/ breaker can handle. In
order to minimize the pull from the NSTs you'll need to use a PFC bank.

RF chokes should not be wraped on PVC piping alone. It turns them into mini
secondaries. They should be wraped on Iron cores, or pvc with bolts with the
heads cut off placed inside the pvc center. The later manner lets you tune
the Chokes to your desired resistance....
But haveing just Chokes alone is not good.

Thus Terry's Nst filter..becomes the proper solution for rf chokes. By
useing capcitors coupled with chokes you significantly drop the Spikes
peeks... Thus smoothing out the current feedback into the NST and preserving
their service life.

This would be the best way to implement a rf choke, but in terms of
functionality I think all you have to have... is a Safety gap....It will
drop serious spikes to RF ground and prevent damage to your NST all by
itself....

It can be as complex as you want to make it....
but if you have your coil on an isolated circut
and you employ a minimum of a safety gap
you should be ok...
then again I can find neons fairly easy.
Recently I found another pair of twins to bring my total to 12000v120ma
That will put my draw on the lines at about 14 amps...
Im running through a 15 amp fuse
on a 20 amp isolated breaker
I probably wont need PFC caps, but
if the fuse blows and or the breaker throws ill be building one.
Im betting the fuse wont take it...the breaker wont care
Ill just find out the hard way...The fuse will allow me to collect rough
data on draw :)
Chris