Re: How do you cut Tungsten Rods????

Original poster: "Terry Blake by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tb3-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Dan,

The rod is very brittle.  Usually an imperfection in the rod can be used to
snap it like a piece of glass.

You could use the corner of a file to create a v-notch, which does not have
to be very deep.  Then put the rod in a vise and clamp very close to the
notch.  Then pull on the rod and it should SNAP off and break at the notch.

Make the rods a tiny bit bigger than you really want, because you may want
to clean up the broken edges with a grinder.

I have also used one of those high-speed Dremel tools with a cut-off blade
to work through the rod.  I put my drill in a vise, the rod into the drill
chuck and rotate at a slow speed.  Then I apply the cutoff wheel.
Gradually, the rod just wears down and falls off exactly where I want.  No
cleanup required.  You will need a good supply of cutoff wheels.  The rod
eats them up fast

Terry Blake

Coils in Chicago.