Re: capacitor failing

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

NO NO NO!!

The voltage stays the same when caps are in parallel.  Think about it, the
poly sheet is still 60 mill thick, but now you just have more surface area,
so greater capacitance.  When caps are in series, they gain a higher voltage
rating, but loose the capacitance, because each added cap is like a thicker
dialectric.  The thicker the dialectric, the lower capacitance you have
given the same surface area for both situations.  So your thinking was
incorrect, you still had a 24kv cap, but with 4x capacitance of the single
unit.

Steve Ward.