RE: OLTC update

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Terry:

I noticed that contrary to the practice with spark gap coils, you are
placing the power supply across the tank cap, rather than the "gap".  This
places a more difficult burden on the filter network between the tank and
the power supply, to keep the RF out of your mains.  Have you examined the
signals going back to the mains?  I see the obvious problem with placing
the power supply across the gap - a turn-on fault will short out the power
supply and smoke will flow...  Maybe a lower current IGBT could be placed
in series with the PS, breaking the connection whenever the main gap IGBT's
are told to turn on?

Also, with the distributed tank cap/IGBT concept, I assume you plan to have
a separate decoupling network/filter for each segment?

Regards, Gary

Hi All,

Today I made a fairly accurate MicroSim Model of the OLTC:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTCigbtC-8-13-01.gif
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTCigbtC-8-13-02.gif
I change a few component values in the controller between the LM311 and the
LMC555 for better control:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTCigbtC-8-13-03.gif

Cheers,

	Terry