can i break the record?

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

In 1998 Terry made an ignition coil produce 13.25" sparks 2 times(i think
this is correct).  Well i cannot beat the record since i dont use the same
ignition coil BUT i have successfully made four 10" sparks!!!  This is from
an old rusty ignition coil!!  Heres my setup:

Its driven like a tesla coil.  Im using a rectified flyback transformer, to
charge a bank of caps.  I have 10 parallel .068uf 3000v GE caps.  So .68uf
at 3000v.  My spark gap is 2 nails about .5mm apart.  The coil needs more
oil submersion.  I only have it in a small cup of oil that is not enough.
All wires into and out of the cup are inside of thick vinyl tubing.  I have
the output running through a 12" length of tubing(the clear flexible stuff)
out the top of the oil cup, and still it can arc down that 12" plus about
another 6" to get to the primary wiring!!  Of course that is over a surface.
  But i have manage 10" so far through the air!!  Oh, the core of the coil
was removed, so it is an air core transformer, a tesla coil!!!

This thing truely scares me.  Its really amazing!!  and this is from a used
no-name coil!  I want to video it before i gor for bigger sparks so i dont
ruin it before i have proof.  This thing could run from a battery!  ill
probably bring this to the teslathon.  I think it is awe inspiring.

Steve Ward.