Use MMC's, not build your own. . .

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I think with the availability and the ease and proven reliability of MMC's,
there is no excuse for the beginner to not use MMC type caps.  They're
cheap, easy to get, and an MMC array is easy to build.  In my opinion,
building your own caps is not only difficult to obtain great performance or
reliability, but can present a safety hazard as well, at least for
beginners.  Oh yeah, they're messy too.  Of course, for a more experienced
coiler, building your own caps can be satisfying especially if you make the
rest of your coil "historical like.", but for the beginner, i don't think
building caps is feasable.

Dan

I'm not sure where you are seeing suitable tesla coil caps on their site.
They even stress that they do not make to sell tesla coil capacitors.
Winding your own caps takes lots of time, trial and error. As for their
surplus, I'm not sure why it's not good enough for their own use. The foil
may be dinged up and the film may not be a good lot. It's hard to say.

KEN