Re: The death of a classic

Original poster: "B2 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bensonbd-at-boo-dot-net>

Hi Malcolm:
> "What are the values of the surrounding resistors?
> How did a pulsed application kill the MOX reistors Barry mentions?
>
> Regards,
> malcolm"

    The MOX resistors that I used in a 300 KV Marx had the conducting
material laid down in a back-and-forth pattern, resembling switchbacks on a
mountain road.  Arcing (tracking) occured between the switchbacks.  The
arcing blew the coating off between the switchbacks.  Since then, I have
only used carbon composition or carbon film resistors in pulse work.  The
ceramic resistors with the conducting material laid down in a helical
pattern will work, but I now treat them as iffy and too expensive.

Cheers,
Barry