Re: slow-wave helical resonator

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> --- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> > Original poster: "Gary Peterson by way of Terry
> > Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> > <glpeterson-at-tfcbooks-dot-com>
> >
> > > He was
> > > just guessing.
> >
> > Right.
> July 8 1899 CSN;
> (On Teslas wide spacing of secondary wires)
> "From this it follows that in such a machine the free
> vibration of the secondary can never be quite ignored
> even if the electromotive source is not
> extraordinarily high. Now directly as the free
> vibration of the secondary becomes an important
> element to consider in the design, the careful
> adjustment becomes obviously imperative. It goes
> without saying that Q should be a large as possible in
> all cases where resonant rise is one of the objects,
> But here is is where we find in practice, and
> particularly in a large machine, difficulties not
> easily overcome.  Both the inductance and capacity
> grow rapidly as turns are added, SO MUCH SO THAT VERY
> SOON IT IS FOUND THE SECONDARY PERIOD BECOMES LONGER
> THAN THAT OF THE PRIMARY."
>
> One can easily read meanings into that statement. I
> understand it in the literal basis, as what is said is
> what it means ,despite the machinations of reasoning
> needed to verify it.
> HDN

	I don't think there's any hidden meaning there.  However, I am puzzled
by that last statement, because he (and everyone else) always tuned the
primary to the secondary resonant frequency, wherever it might end up.
A quibble.  Tesla doen't write "Q" but instead "pL/R", which amounts to
the same thing (if p = 2pi), which I suspect it was.  I don't think the
concept of Q (Quality factor) was verbalized that far back, as I don't
find it mentioned in the early "wireless books".  Certainly the
importance was realized.

Ed