Re: Measuring static-gap break rate

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Scott Hanson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

> What are the options for measuring the actual operating break rate of a
static
> gap? What simple, straightforward techniques have proven useful? I need to
> measure the actual breakrate on a small coil that is using a much smaller
than
> usual tank cap.
>
> I was considering using a small "spotting" telescope, a photo diode and a
Fluke
> multimeter with frequency counter function. Mount the photo diode in the
bottom
> of an opaque plastic 35mm film can, aim the telescope at the static gap,
attach
> the film can to the eyepiece of the telescope, and monitor the output of the
> photodiode with the frequency counter. Everything could be 10 feet or
more from
> the coil, so EMI/RFI might be not be a problem.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,

	I think a simple microphone would work fine, considering the steep wave
front of the sound produced.  Remember that the gap firing period will
tend to be quite erratic, so you probably have to look at the signal on
a scope and make a guess as to what you think the rate is.

Ed