Re: IGBTs and CW Tesla Coils

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

igbts could be used in low freq. coils like the oltc. he was planning to run it
at 6khz i think, and the data sheet on the igbts he is using says they could
switch at frequencys up to 100khz. i read that alot of peak power was needed to
make long streamers. with big igbts you could get alot of power. im pretty sure
a sstc would be a more efficient use of the igbts. if you use a magnifier
arrangement to keep the magnetizing inductances high i think you could get the
same performance as the oltc with 2 of the same igbts. i used pspice to
simulate it and it seemed to work ok.Tesla list wrote:.

> Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz "
>
> Hi All,
>
> Terry's work with IGBTs has made me wonder if they could be used in
> continuous wave SSTCs. Since you SSTC guys are just using MOSFETs as
> switches anyway, couldn't IGBTs be used instead? I don't know how high
> IGBTs can be pushed frequency-wise. Also are IGBTs PNP or NPN?
>
> These things sound pretty cool. I might have to buy some :-)).
>
> Thanks,
> Winston K.

JImmy