RE: OLTC Update - Primary circuit resistance.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Hi Terry,

If you are really using the IRG4PF50WD, check carefully its datasheet.
Its Vge max value is truly +/- 20V, not 50V.

> nice.  Shoot through from the Ccg capacitance is a concern
> and that is why
> I have 100 ohm gate resistors to slow the turn on way down
> compared to what
> it "could" be.

Another thing. You have the 20V TVS on the driver side of the gate
resistor, to protect the driver, I suppose.
If your IGBT fails, it will go short and you'll get the 500V (or
whatever) right onto the gate. So this is a good strategy indeed.
But more bucks are lost if you damage the IGBT. To protect the IGBT from
transients, I suggest you to put another TVS (or a 16V zener) *directly*
from gate to emitter. Otherwise the 100 ohm in series will make its
effect null.

Best Regards