From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 11:11 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Primary arc to strike rail

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

Has anyone ever experienced any "problems" with their MMC due to
arcing from the outer or free end of the primary to the strike
rails?  While running my coil earlier this evening, there was
a substantial arc from the outer end of my primary to the strike
rail.  I immediately shut down, but when I tried to run the coil
a few moments later nothing happened, aside from a burnt smell
that I couldn't localise.  After "safing" everything, I touched
all of the caps in my MMC and none where hot, nor was there any
obvious external sign of problems with the caps or the bleeder
resistors.  It was getting dark and I was tired, so I've left
the troubleshooting until later, but I wondered if anyone on
the list could offer any suggestions?  I'll check out each of
the coil's components in the next few days.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca