RE: OLTC update

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

If it's not a "Tesla Coil", then discussing it would be off-topic for this
List.  I say let's keep the name ;-)

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Terry, All,
       The recent developments in new types of coil systems brings up what may
be (at least to me) an interesting philosophical question. At what point in
evolution is a Tesla Coil no longer a Tesla coil? Just as we do not see the
names Fleming or de Forest credited with cermolox transmitting tubes, or the
name Shockley associated with modern solid state chips, I see little in the
OLTC except for the idea of an air-core resonant transformer that can be
attributed to Tesla. The OLTC uses materials, devices and concepts totally
unheard of, or even guessed at, in Tesla's day.  IMO the OLTC it has more
differences from a Tesla coil than an "Oudin" coil has.
  Perhaps we are witnessing the birth of the OLFC (Off-Line Fritz Coil) or at
very least the "Off-Line Fritz-Tesla System"?

For two cents plain,

Matt D.