Re: NiCd Battery Storage

Hi gary,

On 21 Aug 2002, at 11:49, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gary Peterson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <glpeterson-at-tfcbooks-dot-com>

> To the list,
>
> I read that NiCd batterys should be stored uncharged.  Is this still true
> for older nicads that have been charged and discharged a number of times?
> What about storing a newer battery that has seen only one or two
> charge/discharge cycles?

I don't think the number of cycles matters. The problem with charged
cells is that they internally discharge, growing dendrites which
eventually short them out. I'd discharge them to the point where one
cell hits a volt (still with the correct polarity). Just reflecting
on it, I'd be tempted to discharge the lot connected in parallel so
reverse charging of a cell won't occur. I'd use a discharge current
of no more than a tenth of the A-H rating of the lot connected in
parallel.
     I don't like NiCads much anymore. I've fixed countless pieces of
gear which have had them give off vapours and cause corrosion of
other metal parts. It seems that once this has happened, you can
never get rid of the effects. I've dealt to one flashgun three times
and know I'll be seeing it again. Besides, the terminal voltage is
inconveniently low for most equipment which has been designed for the
nominal 1.5V/cell.

Regards,
malcolm