Further MMC testing

Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

All,

I have done some additional observation of the output
my 6" system using first the commercial cap and the
MMC.  I set up the coil with the gap adjusted so that
the output would just barely max out at 3 feet.  I did
several 30 second runs alternating the commercial cap
with the MMC and counting the 3 foot strikes (to an
aluminum chair set up at the 36" mark) in each run.
The MMC 3 foot strikes greatly outnumbered those of
the commercial capacitor, by about 5 to 1.  I have no
way to measure, but the MMC power arcs looked hotter
and more intense, but this could have been due to the
somewhat larger bang size of the MMC since it is
.01244uF as opposed to the commercial cap, which is
marked .01uF.  Unfortunatly I don't have a DMM which
measures capcitance, so this is all pretty seat of the
pants and armchair.  Another unfortunate fact is I
don't know the brand of the pulse cap.  It is not a
Maxwell, but it is very similar in appearance...I got
two of them used, for free from a friend.  I've used
them both in coiling for over a year with a 12/60 NST
and they've held up fine, so I guess they are pretty
good capacitors, but I'm sure they will end up
doorstops long before that MMC kicks the bucket.

-Brett
hot-streamer/brett