Re: OLTC update - Coupling figured out :-)

In a message dated 8/25/02 5:20:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> As to why my system takes its 30 cycles to ring up--don't know yet.

Ken,

I thought your coil took 30 cycles to ring up because this is the
resonator fill-time.  It was my understanding that a CW system
took about 30 cyles to ring up if the effective Q of the system
was about 30.  You're pumping up the voltage over successive
cycles by virtue of the steady application of energy to the
system, which can go no higher when the input energy vs.
losses is balanced. This is much different than a damped wave
situation, where ring-up time is based mostly on the coupling
for a given frequency.  Perhaps the coupling aspect
applies somewhat in your CW situation but is hidden by the CW
effects.  I'm not an expert in this area, but I think the general
idea is correct.

John