Still confused on LTR sized Caps

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Still a little confused on the LTR sized primary capacitors.  I assume the
standard way to choose a primary capacitor is to choose a value which is
charged to a maximum over the ac cycle of the high voltage output so that
when a spark gap fires, the cap is charged at maximum at the peak of the
high voltage output sine wave.  For this a 0.0106uF would be optimum for a
15kV/60mA NST.

Now I am very confused about LTR sized caps.  First, I assume the entire
primary tank circuit's resonant frequency would change as a result of the
larger primary capacitor.  Secondly, why are LTR sized caps used in the
first place and what are their benefits?

Confused,
Dan