Re: Distorted Inductor Question

Inductance, as a general thing, is proportional to the area within the
loop.  For a given length of wire, in a single "turn", the inductance is
greatest when the loop is a circle.  The other extreme would be with a very
thin oval.. two parallel wires shorted at each end.  In the latter case,
the magnetic field from one wire is neatly cancelled by the field from the
other adjacent wire, and since inductance is a related to the magnetic
fields....

For what it's worth, this property has a couple interesting side effects:

1) A loop with current in it will try to make itself bigger.. In quarter
shrinkers, this produces very large forces trying to make the work coil
stretch out.

2) If you put a current into a coil, then shrink the coil, the current will
increase, essentially turning mechanical energy into electrical.. This is
the principle behind explosively driven Flux Compression Generators, which
have a lot of interesting(!) applications