Re: Musically Responsive TC's

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

I HAVE used these supplies rectified for tesla coil use with much success.

If you have never used these supplies successfully, how can you possible
claim, "in my experience."
All people of this group should realize almost anything is possible with
what equipment is available
out there.  Just because you never had luck with these things doesn't mean
other people haven't.

 > The switching supplies sold as neon tube drivers CANNOT, in my experience,
 > be used as TC supplies, even with the addition of rectification, smoothing
 > etc. The supplies I have seen do not provide a CW HV output, rather they
 > output spikes of HV (6-10kV) 2-4 times a second to strike the tube, and
then
 > a CW output of 600-1000V to keep the tube lit.  This means that after
 > rectification and smoothing you will get a 1-2kV output, which is pretty
 > marginal territory for any spark gap tesla coil.
 >
 > The fact that you have to use a DC supply also means you either have to
 > accept a 50% power loss in a resistive HV side ballast, or use a charging
 > choke which will then make the supply as big and heavy, if not more so, as
 > an equivalent coil and core style neon supply.
 >
 > _______________
 > Nick Field, HVFX
 > www.hvfx.co.uk
 >

 >  > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
 > <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > Which can be used as a power supply to drive a tesla coil.  So what is
 > your
 >  > point.
 >  >
 >  > Dan
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > Jake -
 >  >
 >  > Read the web page carefully: it says nothing about "neon transformers".
 >  > These are high-frequency solid-state
 >  > luminous tube power supplies, useless for driving any conventional
Tesla
 >  > coil.
 >  >
 >  > Scott