Solid-state gas tube power supplies for TC use

Original poster: "Scott Hanson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

Dan -

Can you share the specific details of your "successful" experiences with
these power supplies, insofar as driving a Tesla coil? Specifications of the
power supply used, circuit details, performance (arc length) of the final
optimized configuration, etc. A link to photos of the operating coil would
be great.

Like many endeavors, "successful" can mean very different things to
different people. I have read postings on this list from individuals who
were ecstatic with a three-inch output from a small coil that when properly
tuned would have generated 18-20 inch arcs.

I have not been "successful" in getting satisfactory output from any of
these solid-state supplies, whether they were the common AC powered "beer
sign" units, or the automotive units with 12 VDC input. Like Nick Field
noted, all that I have seen use a low rep-rate ignition pulse superimposed
on a relatively low voltage that keeps the neon tube ionized after ignition.
You certainly can rectify the output, and charge a small cap with it, but I
couldn't honestly say the results were worth the effort. Sort of like the
small "human-powered" Tesla coil I recently built: hand-cranked alternator
driving a step-up transformer driving a small NST, charging a small mica cap
in a small tank circuit pumping a small 2" diameter secondary. Did it make
sparks? Yes ...... was it "satisfactory" or "successful"?  ..... not by my
standards.

Scott