"Beats" observed without pinger!

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Tonight I connected oscilloscope probe to influence ring of my capacitive
transformer TC and observed a waveform with beats DESPITE the fact that no
excitation was supplied to the TC by ping tester or otherwise.

While I make no claims on the usefulness nor validity of this observation
-since the earth clip of the probe was not properly attached- I would be
interested if anyone else has had similar experience of a TC exhibiting
resonance due to environmental influences (electromagnetic radiation) and
whether there is any use in this for testing purposes.