From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 9:34 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: best ground for tesla coils?

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

<tobias.hofer-at-bluewin.ch>
 >hello
 >i was wondering whats the best ground for my tesla coil?

          Opinions vary.
          Many find no added RF Ground necessary.
          Many find it helps.
          I would use one.
          It would help greatly to know:
                  Power input (estimated, if need be)
                  Operating site details (apartment, driveway,
                  cellar, whatever.)
          Also: Many coils use TWO grounds, one for the
          'low frequency side' (mains input, power transformer),
          and, optionally  a second, 'dedicated RF Ground'
          for base of secondary, most filters, etc.)
          Additionally 'ground(s)' can have multiple purposes:
                  Safety
                  Interference Reduction
                  Improved performance.

 >at the moment we connected our tesla coil to the earth from
 >the 220V main power.

          I infer this is in 'Europe', then?
          Most people find connecting the RF Ground
          to mains ground, direct, leads to problems.

 >but i have some doubt if this is a good solution. because of
 >disturbing other people who have their computer or somthing
 >else connected to the same ground.
          THOSE are the sorts of problems commonly encountered

          with rf loose on the mains.

 >what's better:
 >to take a metal plate on the floor to make my own earth?

          This can make an acceptable 'earth' for low powers.

 >how big should such a plate be?
          As big as possible.  A few meters square?

 >or, to put a metal stake into the earth in front of my house,

          Generally preferred.
          Deep, to permanently damp ground.
          Effectiveness varies with local soil conditions.
          This would be for an 'RF ground'.
          Power line/safety ground should be handled in
          accordance with local electrical code/rules.

 >and to link my tesla coil ground together with this stake?

 >to the connection i would take a special emv cooper band.

          Copper?
          (Cu?)
          This sounds like a good plan to me.  Keep the link
          as short as possible, and use it only for the 'rf side'
          of things.

 >or, to link my tesla coil together with the water pipe who is
 >comming in my house?

          Again, RF Ground only: this has been done, may work
          depends on whether any plastic pipe is in use.  Also,
          may lead to stray RF showing up at the neighbors
          water pipe.

 >what's about gas pipe's?
          Same comment re plastic pipe, sometimes used.  Also,

          IF there is a leak ANYWHERE and stray electricity
          happens by....

          I'm sure other suggestions will be made....

--
          best
          dwp

...the net of a million lies...