srsg behaviour

Original poster: "claude masetto by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <claudmas-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

Hello all,
I have just completed and run a 300 bps srsg on my coil and have noted the
following points.
Coil specs - 4 pack MOT supply- 0.047uf tank cap- secondary is 4"x24"-
toroid is 4"x22" on top of a smaller 4"x16"
1) Streamers are about the same length (55") as with my single static gap
but with the static gap they are much thicker and brighter.
2) A lot more multiple streamers with the srsg and they look thinner and
weaker.
3) Tried a 200 bps srsg before this and did not notice any great difference
in performance between this and 300 bps. I have no idea where in the cycle
the gap is firing, I just adjust the phase angle for best performance.
4) Static gap is much louder.
5) Have to use ballast with the static gap otherwise it powerarcs however
with the srsg I don't have to use any ballast. Actually the best performance
is without a ballast and the line current with the srsg is much lower than
with the static gap.
6) I've noticed that when I increase the variac to almost full power the
saftey gaps fire severly and then I have to switch of and start another run.
I widened the saftey gaps a little and this helped a bit but it gets to a
point where they fire continously and the srsg does not fire at all. I
prefer not to open the saftey gaps further as I might risk overvolting the
tank cap. I can still increase the power input if it was'nt for this
problem. What could cause this and is this normal with a srsg.
7) At the moment I still prefer the look of the sparks with the single
static gap even though quenching is a problem. It seems to be a balance
between the right balast for a given size tank cap.
Anyway, that's what I've noticed.
I think the srsg has improved the quenching problem but I was hoping that it
would also result in longer streamers. Maybe I am missing something.

Best wishes for the season
Claude.