Re: BIG counterpoise

Hi Mark,

At 10:17 PM 12/8/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a similar grounding issue.  The coil I built and left my physics
>department has gone
>through 2 transformers, with properly set safety gaps and
>TerryFilter.  (Ok, so the ground
>wasn't attached to the TerryFilter the last time.)

I am a little surprised anyway.  The "me" filter :o) should have still
provided some protection even without a ground.  You may want to add input
fuses if you don't have them already.  I worry about the NST shunts
saturating and the NST drawing very high currents.  Since your running it
LTR I don't think over voltage should be a problem (the filter should still
protect against that anyway).  It could be RF ripping through the
ungrounded filter, but I would add a fuse and see if the NST is going
nuclear on input current.  This may be really true if the coil's power were
turned on without the gap running.  But, the safety gaps should still keep
it under control...  I guess I don't see what is hurting the NSTs here...

>The coil is 6" secondary with 15/90 input,
>SRSG, LTR MMC (Panasonics - long before the GeekMMC).  It is run almost
>exclusively
>on the third floor of the physics department on the inner "square" of the
>building
>(surrounded by classrooms, offices, or a hallway).  I've used mainly a
>cold water pipe for
>RF ground, which seems to work, though I have no clue if the pipe is metal
>all the way to
>the ground.

If the pipe goes to plastic (unlikely in a commercial building) then the
ground rod may be no more than an antenna.  Simply ohm between the pipe and
the AC ground which should have very low resistance between them.  A small
counterpoise may be great here.

>I've also used a big flexible steel conduit that was housed the lab power
>supply
>feeds from the monster regulated power supply in one of the back
>rooms.  There was no
>performance difference between the two.

"Flexible" (big spiral) galvanized steel (bad skin effect RF conductor) may
not be a great RF ground especially at the higher RF noise
frequencies.  But probably "ok".

>Running a long dedicated ground out a window isn't an option for a variety
>of reasons.  The
>best option is a counterpoise.  But I'm concerned that the concrete floor
>40 feet above soil
>will be a good enough reference point to keep the counterpoise voltage
>sufficiently low.  I'd
>hate to lose another transformer or even the spark gap motor due to
>excessive ground
>potential....

The concrete floor is filled with rebar and is connected to big iron
beams.  It is "sort of" conductive, but a counterpoise (just a little one)
to contain the RF stuff should do great here.

Cheers,

         Terry