Re: Small power supply and static spark gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > This is the transformer I ordered:
 >
 > Marshall Electric Neon Power Drive
 > Dimension: 6.5" x 3" x 2". Input Voltage: 110 Vac, 1.5A, 60Hz, Output
 > Voltage/Current: 2KV - 6KV 30mA bright, 2KV - 6KV 20 mA dim. Construction:
 > Molded high impact plastic housing. Adjustments required: None.
Temperature
 > range: 35 Deg F to 120 Deg F
 > THESE UNITS BEST OPERATE AT LOADS OF 4KV OR LESS
 >
 > Will this work for a TC?  I real somewhere that 6KV is the min you can use
 > with a static spark gap.  Is this true?
 >
 > What does it mean "THESE UNITS BEST OPERATE AT LOADS OF 4KV OR LESS"?
 > I thought a load draws amps not voltage.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but doesn't sound like that power
supply is going to work for you.  Pretty sure thats
a solid state type switching supply which cannot be used for a conventional
coil.

You can get a nice small tesla coil to run on a 4kV, 20mA transformer which
is available for about $30.00 new.

I currently use this transformer for my mini coil which can be seen here:

http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/teslacoil4.htm

This 4kV supply works fine with static gaps and can put up to 15 inch
streamers for a real efficient design, although mine is about the 9-10 inch
mark right now.

The above page contains full specifications for a small coil along with
schematic etc...

The 4kV, 20mA transformer is a Franceformer Model 4020SE.  If you go to
www.franceformer-dot-com, you can get a list of distributors in your area.
This item is usually stocked for ready pick-up or delivery at any
distributor.

Dan