Re: Small power supply and static spark gap

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,

This sounds like a solid state neon power supply. If
I'm right, you are out of luck. You need a genuine
iron-core neon transformer--not a 20kHz switchmode
power supply.

Regards,

 > Original poster: "Michael Quarles by way of Terry
 > Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mquarles-at-qusion-dot-com>
 >
 > I am new to Tesla Coils.  I am trying to learn all I
 > can by reading
 > pupman-dot-com and other websites.  My son and I are
 > going to make one for a
 > science project.
 > Unlike most of you, I am not trying to make the
 > large most power spark I
 > can.  We will be show this in an audatorium with
 > other sceince projects and
 > I need it to be as safe as possible.
 >
 > This is the transformer I ordered:
 >
 > Marshall Electric Neon Power Drive
 > Dimension: 6.5" x 3" x 2". Input Voltage: 110 Vac,
 > 1.5A, 60Hz, Output
 > Voltage/Current: 2KV - 6KV 30mA bright, 2KV - 6KV 20
 > mA dim. Construction:
 > Molded high impact plastic housing. Adjustments
 > required: None. Temperature
 > range: 35 Deg F to 120 Deg F
 > THESE UNITS BEST OPERATE AT LOADS OF 4KV OR LESS
 >
 > Will this work for a TC?  I real somewhere that 6KV
 > is the min you can use
 > with a static spark gap.  Is this true?
 >
 > What does it mean "THESE UNITS BEST OPERATE AT LOADS
 > OF 4KV OR LESS"?
 > I thought a load draws amps not voltage.

=====
Gregory R. Hunter

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

_