Re: BIG counterpoise

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I think that this last failed transformer had a couple internal
problems.  It was quite old, the
LV bushing was cracked to the point where one terminal rotated rather
freely.  The tar
potting was cracked deeply across the center, probably down to the core.

The leads to the RC filter are about 8 inches long of 14AWG HV wire.  From
the filter, one
leg is about 8 inches to the main gap, the other about 32 of 4AWG Monster
Cable.  Not
optimal, but it's what I had to do at the time.  The leads from the filter
to the safety gap are
both about 12 inches of 14AWG HV wire.

Before the lecture hall remodel, there was a network outlet just below the
chalkboard.  The
coil was about 6 to 7 feet from the wall throwing 4 foot streamers.  In
pictures taken during
runs, there is an obvious spark jumping the ~1/8th inch gap between the
aluminum chalk
trays, less than 8 inches from the network port.  I hadn't heard of
subsequent computer
problems in the building.  ;)

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group