Re: EM only coil?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/12/02 1:07:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hello all
>
>I want to construct a tesla coil that is not about sparks but about EM field.
>Most of us are all about efficiency and longer sparks. I am too.
>
>I'm intrigued with the coils ability to illuminate things at a distance. As
>I am an artist this is proving immensely interesting. Imagine the
>possibilities. Lighted objects with no visible power source.
>
>Any way I've personally observed that a coil need not make sparks to put
>out a large EM field. I was reading that when a coil is out of tune it
>makes a bigger field and the field from a coil that is in proper tune is
>hardly detectable. I have observer this in my own coils.
>So lets say I construct a coil for EM purposes only. Obviously the amount
>of power I use will affect the size of the EM field. But I imagine that the
>pir/ sec ratio can be wildly out of balance. Any thoughts as to the
>possible construction?
>
>Read you later
>Josh

Josh,

A coil that is "in tune" will transfer more energy from primary to
secondary.  I would install a toroid that is excessive large (so no sparks
break out) and tune the coil properly.

Ed Sonderman