Re: fabricating 833A sockets

Original poster: "Jim Mora by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jmora-at-jetlink-dot-net>

Hi Steve and TC Group,
 > Hello,
  >
  > I will soon have 2 833A tubes, but dont want to
  > spend the rediculous $40
  > each for the sockets.  So i was wondering if anyone
  > has seen any ideas for
  > making sockets.  I will just buy the plate and grid
  > caps because those are
  > cheap, but i need to make the filament socket.  So
  > if anyone has any ideas,
  > i would really appreciate to hear them. Thanks,
  >
  > Steve Ward.

I too am beginning construction of a dual 833a based VTTC and am considering
using set srcew type 3/0 awg wire lugs to snug to the filament prongs and
secure the tubes.
  They could then be screwed through the stud holes to a horizontal
insulating member of plexi or heat resistant material. These should provide
adequate mechanical rigidty to easily support the mass of the tubes and
provide an easy connection to the filament transformer.

The prongs on my tubes are just shy of 11mm so a FCI Burndy # klu175 lug or
equiv should fit.
Framatome Connectors International ... note the link to the drawing pdf on
the upper left of the page.
http://12.30.8.43/fci/datasheet.asp?PN=KLU175TP&FAM=322

Regards,
Jim Mora