Re: 10 Questions (tweaking my new TC)

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

>There is no doubt that LTR systems are far safer for the NSTs!!

OK, that settles it for me, I'm changing over. I think my NST is a good one
and I don't want to lose it. I have safety gaps and they do fire occasionally.

>The LRT size is theoretically pi/2 times that, but everyone uses a factor
>of 1.5 (there is a little loss) so we get a value of 13.2nF for an LTR cap.

I bought extra caps when I was doing the MMC, enough to take it up to
12.5nF, so that's what I'll do. I calculated the resonant value differently
to usual, in that I actually measured the transformer leakage inductance
instead of going by the nameplate. The effect was to leave out the DC
resistance, which in my transformer is 30k (10%) I'm sure it's resonant
just now or nearly so because the gap fires as low as 55V on a variac (240V
mains) which means the resonant rise must be around 4.5 times.

>The spark gap may be a problem.  The coins and the small arc areas my tend
>to rob the system of power.  You may want to consider going to copper pipe
>sections glued to a board

Yea, I'll give it a try. I was going to build the pipe kind of gap
originally but changed my mind. So now I'll change it back. The dryer duct
topload will have to wait for a while though. I hope it turns out looking
as nice as my salad bowl :D

Thanks Terry and others

Steve C.