RE: Forget the Faraday Cage - Ventilate First ! ! ! !

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Forget the Faraday cage.  That is the LEAST of your problems.
Your biggest problem is going to be how to properly ventilate the area.
This in my
opinion is your biggest issue.  I can run my 15kV/60mA coil for about a
minute and the entire
house is filled hazardous fumes.  Very hazardous levels of ozone and other
Nitrogen based compounds
are created even during very short runs.  It ran my coil twice in my
basement (for less than a few minutes)
before finally realizing the gases created were much too strong to deal
with.

Dan

Hi All,

I'm sick of waiting for a somewhat warm calm night to fire my coils.  I am
also tired of trying to get my father away from home because of his
pacemaker.  I am now building a Faraday cage in the basement.  It will be
10' X 10' X 7' and be built out of 3/4" Cu pipe and chicken wire, with a
1/4" hardware cloth roof.  Other than the door which will be caged, there
will be two ports, one 6" X 6" port for cable passthru, and one 6" X 6"
camera port.  Grounding will be made by a 8' copper ground rod, and 3
strands of # 6 bare ground wire.  The 8' rod will hit lake level during the
summer, but the lake level drops about 1 1/2' in the winter.  The top of
the rod will be monumented with a concrete pad so I don't hit it with a
lawnmower.  I am thinking of adding a separate RF ground for the coils.  Is
this separate RF ground okay?

David E Weiss