Type of variacs for SRSG Phase Controller

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

My current SRSG is run via a 1/25HP Synchronous Motor (hysteresis type -
hence the need for phase control).

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use a mini 3.5A, 120VAC variac for
a phase controller????
My initial tests worked a bit, but the motor would shutdown after about 50%
adjustment.  I guess I need
to fine tune my capacitance a bit.

This would even further increase my available control panel space for
additional meters, switches, etc...

Thanks

Dan