Re: Aaaaaaa!! My NST is toast! Salvage tips?

Original poster: "Andy Cobaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kb3ewy-at-rcn-dot-com>

Steve,

     I had a Transco 15/30 NST that failed a while ago.  It had this resin
that was extremely hard, did not burn (at least with a propane torch), and
the only way I could chip away at it was with an air chisel.  I did manage
to salvage the core and primary.  The resin was soaked into the secondary
windings and damaged the secondaries when I chipped away at it. It mostly
seemed to chip off in chunks.  I would save at least the core and the
primary.  I used mine to make a filament transformer for my 4PR-1000A tube
coil.  Good luck!

Your high voltage enthusiast,

Andy C.
Ham Call: KB3EWY