Variac

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

A slightly belated "thank you" to all who responded to my recent query on
Variac maintenance.

Sadly, the "big boys" jumped in at the end of the auction and took the
thing right out of my league.  However, that was lucky, for I have just
acquired (from the same people) an old 240V 15A unit.  I say old, but this
is old as in "sitting in box, never used" old, so I am now the proud owner
of half a ton of shiny Variac (or generic equivalent).  $300 AUD ( roughly
$150 USD) seemed pricy until I looked in the Farnell catalogue and found an
8A one for $900 AUD!

I now need to build a case for it - the steel and aluminium stock that I
have is all to lightweight for this - I think that this kiddie may end up
on wheels!

Thanks again for all the helpful feedback - at least we now have a useful
thread in the archives for future reference!

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith            | Business: http://www.kbc-dot-net.au
IT Consultant            | PGP Key:  http://gpg.mss.cx