Re: Electronic Ignition drivers for TCs/ which type is best?

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net> by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Emil,
Yes, I am indeed referring to a TC driven by an ignition coil.
to see the the schematic of the initial HV generating apparatus go to the
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp directory and look for "Ignition Coil HV
Generator.bmp".

There is more- since current output of ignition coil is so low I use a
string of 60 x IN4007 diodes to charge capacitors. The IN4007 prevent the
capacitor from discharging back into the secondary of the ignition coil
between charging pulses. There is a picture of the rectifier at
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp.hvrectifier.jpg.

The picture of  the gap I use is http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp.bigcoilgap/jpg
it is connected
between the +ve output of the HV supply and the grounded negative rail.

With the rectifier I have been able to charge capacitors of up to 22
nanoFarad to the breakdown potential of the gap although it takes some time
especially with larger capacitors.

Fianlly and most importantly , the negative rail is grounded by connection
to a water pipe helps
prevent high voltage RF spikes from damaging the 13.8V PSU.

Jolyon