New Coil?

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi everyone!

	I just tried a new toroid on my existing coil, and upon re-tuning, got
racing sparks and small sparks from the top terminal for a reward.  I
thought that putting a larger toroid on the coil would lower the
developed voltage (putting less stress on the secondary), and allow me
to tune the primary out farther to lower gap losses.  It obviously
didn't work.  I can't push the power up on this system.  Ed Sonderman,
and many others helped me greatly with various suggestions, (Thanks
everyone!) but it appears my coil is hopeless at over 1.8kVA :-(.

	Anyway, I've had it with this coil.  As most of you who read the
"Suicidal Secondary" post can agree with, it was badly designed.  I'm
still disturbed that I can't figure out the racing spark problem
enirely, but I want to build a new coil anyway.

	I'd like to keep the 5 joule bang size the same, and possibly make it
larger.  I want to do away with my 0.1 uF cap, and use a smaller unit
with a higher stored voltage to keep the bang size up.  I still want to
use a high inductance secondary, and a large toroid.  This time I should
probably use a high inductance primary to balance out the system, rather
than a large cap.

	I'm not sure about the actual secndary design.  I want to use a static
gap, and maybe a rotary gap later on.  The system will operate at 120
BPS.  I don't now exactly what power source I'll use, but I'm thinking
about using a rather high voltage supply this time.  Maybe MOTs with
doublers, or 4 GE copier xfmrs in series.  I'd like to be able to shovel
more power into this coil than I could with my previous one (5 to 7
kVA).  I want to keep the size down, so I think I'll use a 6"OD
secondary.

	How does this sound?  I'm very much open to suggestions, since the
badly designed coil was my first system.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
	Winston

	PS-Where can I get a pole pig or potential xfmr?  I live in the LA
area.  I don't need one now, but since it appears that it is continually
getting harder to obtain one (liability, etc.), I'd like to get one
while I still can.  I called the power company, and after being
transfered about for around half an hour, was told that they are
contracted to sell their old stuff to some salvage company.