RE: question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tb3-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Dave,

I have also just started using a potential transformer,
and it is a very different animal from the NST.  I have
yet to find a MOT for balasting, but was able to use a
15/60 neon transformer in the same mannor as described
by Godfrey.  I have a clamp-on current meter to monitor
see what is going on.  The current limited at about 10
A.

I was not satisfied with this somewhat low current, and
unwilling to pile up a lot of NSTs to ballast the PT.  I
had just picked up a 500 foot roll of 12 gauge wire from
the local Home Depot (less than $20), for making a
magnifier.  I wondered how that would work for
ballasting.  It measured about 0.9 ohms DC resistance,
and I don't know the inductance.  But I hooked it up in
series with the PT anyway.

With 120 V on the PT + 12 gauge roll, and the PT output
shorted, the current limited at about 25 A.  Getting
excited, I hooked it up to a variac and a Tesla coil.
It works great.  The current hits about 15A when the
variac is at about 75%, and the TC output is looking
better than ever.  I did notice that the ballast is a
BIG electromagnet, and tends to pull metal and other
wiring toward it.  Hehe.

I'll try to measure the inductance sometime, and also
try a 500 foot roll of 14 gauge wire.  But this setup is
working pretty good for now.

Having metering on these setups is a must.

Terry Blake
> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"