Re: copper oxide

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/6/02 1:17:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> For my sci. project, I hooked a copper anode to a TIC and made a grounded
> brass
> anode.  They were dipped in a saltwater solution.  The anode bubbled
> furiously
> as a result of electrolysis and the cathode developed a pink growth instead
> of
> the desired green copper oxide.  What could the pink stuff be?
>

>     Thanx,
>
>     Me

Hi Me?
         What you get depends on the purity of your ingredients, the
temperature and oxygen content of the water, ionization potential, etc.
Cuprous Chloride (CuCl) is white
Cupric Chloride (CuCl2) is brownish yellow
Cupric Chloride, basic ( CuCl2.Cu(OHC)2 ) is yellowish green
Cupric Chloride Dihydrate ( CuCl2.2H2O ) is bluish green
Cuprous Oxide ( Cu2O ) is red
Cupric Oxide ( CuO ) is black
Cupric Oxychloride ( Cu2(OH)3Cl ) is green
If you used Iodized Salt,
Cupric Iodide (Cu2Cl2) is white to brownish-white
And any mixture of the above.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of possible compounds due to impurities
in the water (lead, tin, fluorine, manganese, detergent residue on container,
grease or sweat, etc.), but it gives you some idea.

Hope this helps,
Matt D.