Re: Relays and Contactors

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Hi Rick,
Use a good motor starting contactor and the contacts will be made to
flash as they separate, this prevents them from sticking (ha ha ho ha)
In constant start\stop\reverse use they do weld shut, but the contacts
are easily changed. If the load is pushed close to the rating then a
small capacitor across the coil, this prevents welding due to chatter.
The contacts will chatter if they arc heavy on closing, this will burn a
new contact very quickly.
Use a latching circuit with the auxiliary contacts that run through the
"E"stop switch, or key switch.
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id34.htm
Shows one setup that also uses a timer to allow a gap fan or rotary, or
triggered gap, to come on and up to speed then the main comes in.
Take care,
Marc M.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Richard Williams by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <richardwwilliams-at-earthlink-dot-net>