Re: Relays and Contactors

Original poster: "Richard Williams by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <richardwwilliams-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hey (un)Terry, :)

I have 2 contactors, inductive rating is 40 FLA. These are 3-pole. Normally
Open.

LRA -at- 240 is 240
LRA -at- 480 is 200
LRA -at- 600 is 160

Resistive rating is 50 amps

Maximum loads for this project:

120vac -at- 14 amps
240vac -at- 20 amps

The 120vac is single variac controlled.
The 240vac is controlled by two 120VAC variacs in series, common shaft.

So I have 6 contacts altogether.

The series idea sounds good and makes sense since that's exactly what's done
with a rotary gap.
There is no neutral/ground connection to the variacs on the 240VAC line. A
previous schematic showed a connection but due to advicegiven  here that
connection is no longer made. The load, a PT, is connected to the two
brushes.

Soooooo......

In your opinion what is the best contact configuration?

Rick W
SLC