Re: 240 vac variac observation

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

The use of CAPS is for emphasis, I'm not SCREAMING!

You're missing my point. With two 120 volt variacs
back to back, there are TWO brushes. My 240 volt one
has ONE.

I never stated anything about PHASING, I simply stated
that varying my 240 volt variac results in an output
of 0 to 240 volts, RELATIVE TO THE COMMON. And in
residential 240 volts usage, WITH MY VARIAC, the
common is one leg (excuse me for using the word
phase). This results in one output leg at a different
potential RELATIVE TO THE NEUTRAL than the other. You
don't need a scope to prove this, just look at my ugly
ascii diagram below and noodle it out. At any setting,
I get 120 volts differential between the common and
the ground. This MUST BE, if you look at how the thing
is wired up. I also confirmed this my my DMM. How else
could this thing be wired? Of course, this doesn't
matter when I use my pig, as I don't use the house
neutral/ground connection.

 --------)
         )
         )<------  0 - 240 vac