RE: NST secondary ?

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Steve

The essential feature is that the secondary system is center tapped to the
iron core of the transformer. This is done to reduce the insulation
requirements at the bottom of the secondary windings. Then the iron core is
connected to the case. By grounding the case, the voltage stress is reduced
from the top to the bottom of the secondary windings. Even if the case is
not grounded, the core spreads the voltage stress over a large area, thereby
helping to reduce the voltage stress to the top of the secondary windings.
Because the bottom of the secondary coils are connected to the core by leads
going right through the bobbins, it would be too difficult to lift the
center tap from the core. The ground from the core to the case could be
lifted, but there would be no advantage. You want to be able to ground the
core. The transformer can be depotted from the case, but you still want to
ground the core. Running a depotted NST under oil is a good procedure. There
is the advantage of increased insulation and heat sinking. When a NST is put
into tesla service, it can output much more power than its normal rating.
The extra heat sinking will be appreciated.

Godfrey Loudner