RE: Longitudinal Waves

HI David,
          Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. I can induce
ringing in a typical TC resonator and watch it ring down. I can vary
ringdown times from >10mS if the Q of the circuit is high enough to
as short as I want by increasing its resistive losses. I don't need
longitudinal waves to explain that result do I?
    As Terry knows, I am well aware of what governs the shape of the
ringdown envelope in the primary ;)

Regards,
Malcolm

On 10 Feb 2002, at 9:11, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> Hi Malcolm,
>
> >I see in the website paper a suggestion that the dampened waves in a
> ringing tuned circuit is due to energy dispersion by longitudinal radiation.
>
> Actually, the damped waves are due to opposing forces within the wave
> itself.  When a pulse is generated there are two forces acting on the
> medium.
>
> When an electrostatic force is given, say to an atom, the strong positive
> and negative forces strike the negative and positive poles of the atom with
> a bell clapper type effect.  The electrostatic forces spread over the poles
> of the atom and develop charged rings that travel latitudinally with respect
> to the atom.  These charged rings pass through each other and then their
> attractive forces cause each ring to reverse direction and head the opposite
> direction.  The rings pass through each other again and reverse once more.
> This is the damped oscillation we see on an oscilloscope.
>
> For the second force, when the initial clap of the poles occurs from the
> electrostatic charge, the equator of the atom bulges.  This happens by
> knocking an electron out of one valence ring up to the next valence ring.
> The electron then seeks stability and returns to its natural orbit.  As the
> electron moves from inner to outer orbits it imparts the longitudinal
> component of the pulsed wave.  It is the combination of the attraction
> component of the rings and the expanding longitudinal component that makes
> the rings spread out and give us a wave.
<snip>