Re-Working Tapped X-Ray Autotransformer

Original poster: "Jack King by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <speakernut-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Greetings,

Being the proud recipient of a few old X-Ray control
cabinets (and transformers too), I am desirous of
converting the autotransformers as a tapped series
inductive ballast or choke.

Anyway, The particular Shimadzu unit I plan to tear
into was part of a 125 KV .5 amp system. The core
stack is about 4" square and in a large rectangular
configuration, with windings on both of the long
sides, one with multiple taps, the other not.

Question: on this autotransformer, do I want to
"break" the core? or not?....I suppose it all depends
on the "L" value of the inductors and a few other
formulas I should review in the ARRL handbook. Any
experience with regards to this????

Assistance and Comments Please:

THANK YOU

Jack King