RE: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Dave,
     I can't claim to know what you mean by longitudinal waves, but I've got
a hunch, so lets see...

Many of use are familiar with walkie-talkie radios, and maybe also radio
controlled car/plane transmitters - the ones I'm talking about have straight
rod antennas.

I'm sort of guessing that you are using the term transverse wave to describe
the emissions that extend outward perpendicular to the rod antenna, and
longitudinal wave to describe the emissions that extend outward directly
in the direction the antenna is pointing.

Many of us have direct experience that radios and RC car/plane transmitters
do work when the receiver is in the perpendicular plane of the rod antenna
of the transmitter, and that the receiver does not work when the antenna is
pointing directly at it (many RC model planes have been lost this way!).

Many of us on this list concure with what our experience tells us and what
physics books tell us which is that there is energy transfer in transverse
waves (electromagnetic radiation), but that there is no energy transfer
in the longitudinal direction. This is why many of us are wondering how
a TC (which is transfering energy from a primary LC to a secondary LC) can
work with longitudinal waves since sparks require lots of energy.

Peter Lawrence.