Quad 833 update.

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All!
    Got the Quad 833 a new primary and grid coil so I could run it in
single-ended mode. Got a new filament tranny wound, and wired up all 4 tubes.
    "Holy Crap!!!"   Impedance matching is poor, and coupling is low, so the
sparks are short. But man oh man.
    At about 80% power the MOT was pulling 22A and *really* humming (as were
the doubler caps!)  The discharge was about 8" long (pathetic, I know), but was
hot enough to burn the ends off drywall screws and heat a tungsten-carbide rod
to white hot in moments.  The primary windings got scorching hot (as did the
MOT) in only a 1 minute run at 80%. I'm too chicken to turn it up all the way,
for fear of blowing the MOT or loosing a soldered connection somewhere.

    This thing just *rocks*, even as poorly running as it is. It's also *VERY*
dangerous. The output is nothing to play with.  It incinerated anything
non-conductive I put in there (even GP03!!!)   I can't wait to see what it will
do when I mange to get a high-current centertapped transformer and can run it
in push-pull mode. It's all exciting.  The tank drive signal is clean as a
whistle, no radio or TV interference even at 80% power, except when some crud
burns off the breakout. And burn it will :)

 No pics, the batteries in the Olympus were dead (charging now).  I'll be busy
for the next 2 weekends, so no more coiling for a bit for me. But man I got an
ozone/adrenaline rush tonight.  Can't wait to see what it'll do with more power
input.  At least enough to make the tubes run normal redness :)

Shad (Sundog)
G-2 #1203