Prototyping - was "556 problems"

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Matt, All

My $0.02 worth:  it is so easy to set out schematics from which a board
can be produced using software like Eagle - you might as well have a PCB
for your prototype!  You can eliminate all the problems associated with
dirty contacts (plugboards) and the like, in addition to which, decent
design software can even do some simple electrical rule checking before
you produce the board.

The only expensive bit of PCB production is the copper clad board (and
drill bits if you're as ham fisted as I am ;-) so long as you're not
trying to produce 0.01mm tracks...  Balance the price of copper clad
against your time...

I'm writing from *far* too much bitter experience with various
prototyping systems - I've only been making PCBs using design software
for a fortnight and there's no way that I'm going back!  I just hope
that by saying this, I might spare others some agony...

Final thought, on a safety note:  when working with high voltages, which
would you prefer? a) a soldered joint, b) bits of wire twisted together.

Here endeth the rant.

Cheers

Matthew Smith (another Matt)