Re: Tuning with toroid question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/13/02 7:31:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > I've finally been getting respectable sparks out of my TC.  When I use my
> large
> > toroid, about 22" x 4", I get numerous smaller sparks. When I put a
> breakout
> > point on, I get much larger (around 24") arcs.  What does the fact that I
> need
> > to use a breakout point say about how my TC is tuned?  By adjusting the
> tuning
> > point, should I not be able to make it so I get a SINGLE larger streamer
> out of
> > my toroid?

Hi Patrick,
         Single, large streamers require either a breakout point or and
extremely smooth surface. Every irregularity can become a mini breakout point
resulting in a focal point for shorter, multiple streamers.

Matt D.