RE: Drain Bamage - Re: Stop the nonsense

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Terry,

Tesla didn't build his equipment, his staff did.  Most likely his staff also
operated the mercury interrupter as he would have been at the controls.
Tesla has 8 patents for the liquid spark gaps.  Mercury is one fluid that
could be used.  Some of the designs used just oil.  The purpose of the
liquid spark gap was to impart as near a perfect quench on the gap as could
possibly be attained.  As you know, much of the loss occurs through the gap
and Tesla was also aware of this.

These units work in several different configurations.  One configuration is
to have both mercury and oil in a drum, and then rotate the drum causing the
fluids to separate and remain next to the drum's inner surface.  A star like
wheel then turns such that it alternately comes in contact with the mercury
and then not, causing the circuit to gap.  The oil prevents any air from
interfering with the gap.  This is not the only method he used.  More
details are available in his patents.

US Patent 609,245 12/2/1897Electrical Circuit Controller
A spark gap utilizing a fluid stream or jet to make and break contact.

US Patent 609,246  2/28/1898 Electric Circuit Controller
A spark gap utilizing a rotating disc and a fluid stream.

US Patent 609,247 3/12/1898 Electric Circuit Controller
Another fluid spark gap.

US Patent 609,248 3/12/1898 Electric Circuit Controller
Another method of breaking a gap utilizing a fluid and moving insulator.

US Patent 609,249 3/12/1898 Electric Circuit Controller
Yet another method of breaking a gap using a fluid.

US Patent 609,251 6/3/1897 Electric Circuit Controller
Another fluid spark gap utilizing a rotating drum to separate fluids of
different conductivity.

US Patent 611,719 12/10/1897 Electrical Circuit Controller
A spark gap consisting of a fluid and compressed inert air.

US Patent 613,735 4/19/1898 Electric Circuit Controller
A spark gap with a solid gap rotating opposite the direction of a rotating
fluid.

Dave