Re: Stop the nonsense

> Tesla was vice president of IEEE at one point.  His peers were Lord Kelvin,
> JJ Thomson, and others.

	Those guys were brilliant scientists but not engineers.  There were
plenty of the latter, and as far as I have ever read, they had a great
del of respect for Tesla and his work.

> But most of Tesla's work was so unique, such as his
> AC induction motors, that he had no peers.

	Quite true.  I have read that the single-phase induction motor, perhaps
the most ubiquitous electrical device throughout the world, is still
called the "Tesla motor" in many places.  Can anyone confirm that?

> Tesla finally had to start his
> own company to get his motors built as nobody would believe they would work
> or that they could perform any useful service.

	From what I've read I thought he just guys working in his lab who built
that stuff.  Most of it was of innovative mechanical and electrical
design and really beautifully made.

> Even after the motor was
> demonstrated it took quite an effort to show how it could be put to work.

	Don't think that was true, or not for very long.

> Tesla's articles were often published in Century Magazine, Electrical
> Review, Electrical World and the Electrical Experimenter.  Tesla also
> commissioned a book called Inventions, Researches and Writings based on his
> lectures, which was published in 1894.

	"Inventions etc." is available pretty cheaply, and should be on
everyone's book shelf.

> This is
> far from the truth.  Tesla worked most of his time with conical and spiral
> secondaries.

	Any photos of his spiral coils?  Have never seen any.

> He did this in his thirties and forties.  After Wardencliffe,
> Tesla branched out into resonance with fluids.  I hear the uninformed on
> this list talk about Tesla as though he had lost his senses after
> Wardencliffe.  In fact, that is when he invented the frequency meter, fluid
> meter, auto ignition system, fluid turbine, and VTOL aircraft among others.
> After Wardencliffe, Tesla also worked more with electrostatics on a small
> scale as well as longitudinal waves.

	Compared to his earlier work those were all trivial things and never
found their way into practical use. Do you know anything different?

Ed